The Interchange includes:
- 43 bridges distributed across 5 levels (thus the name “High Five”), with the highest ramps 120 feet (37 m) above ground
- a total of 710 support tiers
- 30,000 feet (9,144 m) of drainage pipes
- nearly 60 lane-miles of new roadway
- stretches from north to south: 2.4 miles (3.9 km)
- streches from east to west: 3.4 miles (5.5 km).
- Total volume of concrete: 500 000 m3
11 million dollars early completion bonus is paid to the contractors thanks to the combination of last generation admixtures and maturometry technologies.
- Speed-up concrete placement
- Stripping of multiple concrete mix designs from 0 slump to SCC
Project technical challenges
During construction staging, to maintain traffic flow, most of the fly-over ramps are built over the existing partial cloverleaf interchange. The old junction is then demolished with little disruption once the new lanes are operational.
Contractor: Zachry Construction Corporation
THE LEONARDO ENTRANCE
The Leonardo began construction on 17 November 2015.
It is a 55 floor mixed-use property development in Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa that stands at a height of 234 metres.